What is DEERS?

The Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) is a computerized database of military sponsors and family members who are entitled under law to TRICARE and other benefits. DEERS registration is required for TRICARE eligibility. Active-duty, National Guard, Reserve and retired service members are automatically registered in DEERS, but they must take action to correctly register their family members.

Mistakes in the DEERS database can cause problems with TRICARE claims, so it’s critical to maintain DEERS information. DEERS information can be verified by calling the nearest uniformed services personnel office (ID card facility; the regional TRICARE managed care support contractor; or the local TRICARE service center. Sponsors or registered family members may make address changes; however; only the sponsor can add or delete a family member from DEERS, and proper documents, such as a marriage certificate, birth certificate, or divorce decree, among others, are required to make such changes.

To update DEERS information:

Visit your local uniformed services personnel office or contact the Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) at (800) 538-9552. The nearest uniformed services personnel office can be found at: http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/

* Fax address changes to DEERS at (831) 655-8317.

* Mail the address change to the:

      Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office
      ATTN: COA
      400 Gigling Road
      Seaside, CA 93955-6771

* Go online to TRICARE to update information: http://www.tricare.osd.mil/deers/.

Things to Keep in Mind:

- Each family member's eligibility record must be updated separately when changes occur.

- Any changes that impact you or your family (e.g., marriage, birth, divorce, death) need to be reported to DEERS so that eligibility can start or stop under DoD and Service guidance.

- If you are active duty and re-enlist, separate, retire, or move, make sure your information gets updated in DEERS as soon as possible. If you do not, you and your family might experience a break in eligibility, which means a break in health care coverage.

- As soon as you re-enlist, take your reenlistment paper to your personnel support center or ID card facility so your information can be updated before your previous enlistment expires rather than waiting for the paperwork to go through distribution.

- Once you retire, you need to make sure DEERS reflects your change from active duty to retiree status.


If you or your family were previously TRICARE Prime under your active duty status, you need to re-enroll in TRICARE Prime under your retiree status. Contact the regional managed care support contractor (MCSC) in your retirement location to find out if TRICARE Prime is offered in your retirement area ZIP code.

- It is important to update your and your family's home addresses because TRICARE Program information will be sent to that address.

- Retail network pharmacies check TRICARE eligibility through DEERS. Your prescriptions will be filled only if you are in the system.

- If you have a child that is over age 21 and a full-time student, you need to get his or her student status entered into DEERS so that TRICARE eligibility is not interrupted and access to health care is not lost.

- If you or a family member is Medicare-eligible, entitled to Part A and enrolled in Part B, DEERS must be updated to reflect MEDICARE Part A and B status to retain TRICARE coverage. When you turn 65, the medical section of your military ID card may also need to be updated.

Click here to learn more about TriCare.