Education Benefits for Guardsmen
West Virginia Educational Encouragement Program
(State Tuition Assistance)
- WVEEP will pay up to 100% of tuition and allowable fees as approved by TAG and noted on the application to an accredited college/university located within West Virginia. The current cap is set at $7,000 per year.
- Fiscal Year - July through June; Payment will not exceed tuition and fees.
- Open to all members of the WVNG, who have completed Basic Combat Training/ Basic Military Training.
- Must apply 60 days prior class start date.
• Chapter 1606- 6 year contract, completed IADT, High School Diploma or equivalent
• Chapter 30- Minimum of 2 years active duty service, paid the 1200 dollar contribution
• Chapter 1607- Activation with RC for 90 days or more since 9/11/01
• Chapter 33. – 90 days of aggregate Active Duty service after 9/11/01
-Can be transferred to dependents of Soldiers with at least 6 years of service. Soldiers must have 4 years retain ability
-Offers a tuition payment to school, as well as a books and supplies stipend and housing stipend (E-5 BAH with dependents).
*Current FY rates can be found at:
Service Member Counseling:
The Education Guidance counselor can assist Service Members with the following:
• AARTS — The Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) keeps track of your military training and experience, and various college-level testing programs. Your AARTS transcript helps document all your military and education credits so you can easily reference them when applying to colleges or jobs.
• Tuition Assistance- All Education Office personnel have knowledge of the tuition assistance program and can help guide Service members through the process of applying for benefits.
• Military friendly Schools- The Education counselor can assist service members with finding military friendly schools that offers the service member’s area of study.
• Career Counseling- career counseling to assigned personnel, problem resolution, and referral to other offices or agencies that can assist with unique problems, provide advocate services for assigned service members when appropriate.